With a ‘growth mindset’ and ‘mastery’ approach to mathematics, our mathematics curriculum has been designed to support and challenge all pupils, and is built on the belief that EVERYONE can learn maths successfully.
The purpose of mathematics in our school is to develop:
- a positive attitude towards mathematics and an awareness of the relevance of mathematics in the real world
- competence and confidence in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills
- an ability to solve problems, to reason, to think logically, to work systematically and accurately
- initiative and an ability to work both independently and in cooperation with others
- an ability to communicate mathematics
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life
- an understanding of mathematics through a process of enquiry and experiment
- accurate recall of mathematical facts and an ability to use mental strategies effectively and fluently.